Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Week 10: The Catcher in the Rye

This week I began reading The Catcher in the Rye; I have heard several people talk about and/or reference this novel, but I have never read it myself so I figured this would be an excellent time to do so.

I have currently read through the end of chapter nine.  So far, the story is told by a 17 year old boy named Holden Caulfield.  Holden at the time the story is being told is 17, but the story he is telling us revolves around the 16 year old Holden, and how he got kicked out of his third school, Pencey Prep. 

When I first started reading I was not sure if I would truly enjoy the novel, but I am starting to like it much more.  Holden does great in his English class, but is failing the four other subjects he is enrolled in.  I am starting to think he might have some sort of disability.  Plus, he tells the readers a story of his younger brother, Allie, who died at the age of 10 from Leukemia, which I am sure had a huge effect on Holden's life.  I am really getting interested now, though, and cannot wait to figure out what happens to Holden.

No comments:

Post a Comment