Friday, September 2, 2011

Week 2: To Kill a Mockingbird

I began reading To Kill a Mockingbird  by Harper Lee yesterday evening and have read for about an hour so far.  For some reason (I cannot remember why) I did not read this book in high school, but I love it!  I think it is very interesting that the story is told from a six year old child's point of view and that the same person is the narrator.  So far I am only about four chapters in, but think the book does a great job of expressing what life was like in Alabama during the time period in which the book is set.  The themes of the novel make it easy to relate to students in high school.  In just these few chapters the book has already addressed race (although we live in 21st century America, race is still a problem), and the struggles/challenges of people of varying socioeconomic status.  I am sure the book will deal with this even more as I read on.  Also, something I enjoy about this book, is flow.  It is easy to read and easy to follow.  There are words which could definitely be used as vocabulary but the dialogue also uses the dialect of children and people of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment